“Peace as the Protection of the Creation” is Theme of the 8th International Poetry Contest
Written by Miguel Werner, secretary general, UPF-Argentina
Sunday, May 8, 2016
VIII INTERNATIONAL POETRY CONTEST–UPF-Argentina
“Peace as the Protection of the Creation”
In conjunction with the International Day of Peace 2016
“Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defenses of peace must be constructed” – Preamble of UNESCO’s Constitution (1945)
- Objective: Despite historical disappointments and conflicts that are still in force, world peace is still an indispensable imperative, an inescapable moral duty, a possible goal, and a task to be achieved. Culture, particularly literature can make a contribution, based on common values of universal brotherhood, transcending boundaries, traditions, and religions. It is expected that this aspiration, which is both an individual and universal longing inscribed in the hearts of peoples and cultures, will be embodied in the writings of the VIII International Poetry Contest of UPF-Argentina, whose theme this year is “Peace as the Protection of the Creation” (considering that conflicts and wars destroy our “bigger house,” nature). This is connected to the International Day of Peace, which was established by UN Resolution 36/67 to “commemorate and strengthen the ideals of peace in every nation and every people and among them.”
- Beginning of the contest: May 8, 2016
Deadline: July 31, 2016
- Jury: Writer and plastic artist Mabel Fontau, member of the Hispanic Cultural and Literary Institute (ILCH) and the “Gente de Letras;” writer and plastic artist Martha Edith Candioti, spokesperson and curator of the Argentine Society of Writers (SADE), and vice-president of the “Almafuerte” literary group; poet and narrator Graciela Licciardi, member of the ILCH and the A.L.E.G.R.I.A. group; poet Donato Perrone, coordinator of Café Tortoni’s Lyric Space, and representative of the Livres de Santa Catarina (Brazil) poetry group; and a local representative of UPF—all of whom are Ambassadors for Peace. The Jury’s verdict will be final and shall have power to determine any question not covered by these rules.
- Patrons: the writer and poet Juana Alcira Arancibia, founder and president of the ILCH and chief editor of the prestigious international literary magazine, “Alba de América;” the Brazilian poet Marina Fagundes Coello, a bilingual writer (Portugese-Spanish) and member of various literary circles in America; and the writer and poet Nélida Pessagno, vice president of SADE and main counselor of the foundation “El Libro.”
- Awards: The winning poem will be read by the author, or by someone chosen by the author, at the awards ceremony. They will also receive a Certificate of Recognition and the poem will be publicized nationally and internationally. Four Honorable Mentions, five Special Mentions, and two Mentions will be awarded with their respective certificates. Each person who wins will also receive gifts, and their poems will be included in the anthology as a way of promoting and spreading peace culture.
- Awards Ceremony: The presentation of awards will take place at the celebration of the International Day of Peace in an artistic, cultural and interreligious event, organized by the Universal Peace Federation of Argentina, with further details to be forthcoming.
- Organizer: UPF-Argentina, whose international mottos are: “The hope of all ages is a unified world of peace,” “True love is the ideal and guiding principle,” and “One global family centered on God,” organized this eighth annual International Poetry Contest.
- Participation in this contest implies acceptance of these terms.
If you find this page helpful and informative please consider making donation. Your donation will help Universal Peace Federation (UPF) provide new and improved reports, analysis and publications to you and everyone around the world.
UPF is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization and all donations are tax deductible in the United States. Receipts are automatically provided for donations of or above $250.00.
Donate to the Universal Peace Federation: Your donation to support the general programs of UPF.
Donate to the Religious Youth Service (RYS): Your donation will be used for service projects around the world.
Donate to UPF's Africa Projects: Your donation will be used for projects in Africa.