CALENDAR OF EVENTS
World Interfaith Harmony Week
This age of globalization needs enlightened people in each faith who can examine their sacred writings and traditions and identify the aspects that can benefit all humanity as well as those that preserve each religion's identity. The UN designated the first week of February every year as World Interfaith Harmony Week. UPF calls on people of faith to honor the Divine indwelling in a way that encourages understanding, respect, and cooperation among people of all faiths for the well-being of our communities and peace in the world.
Suggestions for programs:
- Invite representatives of different faiths to offer prayers (See sample readings from various faiths in English | French | Russian | Spanish).
- Organize a ceremony with representatives of different faiths each lighting a candle or pouring water into a common bowl.
- Invite performers from various traditions to offer music or dances.
- Host a forum.
- Study sacred texts (choose a theme from World Scripture: A Comparative Anthology of Sacred Texts).
- Show and discuss a video (sample documentaries about interreligious understanding and reconciliation).
- Work together to meet a community need (see examples of Religious Youth Service projects).
World Interfaith Harmony Week observance at the UN General Assembly Hall, February 7, 2012
World Interfaith Harmony Week was commemorated at the UN for the first time on February 7, 2012. The President of the 66th Session of the General Assembly, H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, said in announcing the event in the General Assembly Hall: "In our conflict-ridden world, I believe it is important to recognize the historical good done by people of all faiths in many of the areas of the work of the United Nations as well as the current successful partnerships in various parts of the world between UN agencies and religious groups particularly in meeting the humanitarian needs of disaster-stricken people." [Read more]
Photos of UPF-related observances of World Interfaith Harmony Week were included in the video shown at the Feb. 12, 2014 World Interfaith Harmony Week program at the UN Trusteeship Council Chamber in New York, with the theme "A Vital Key for Peace and Development."
If you find this page helpful and informative please consider making donation. Your donation will help Universal Peace Federation (UPF) provide new and improved reports, analysis and publications to you and everyone around the world.
UPF is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization and all donations are tax deductible in the United States. Receipts are automatically provided for donations of or above $250.00.
Donate to the Universal Peace Federation: Your donation to support the general programs of UPF.
Donate to the Religious Youth Service (RYS): Your donation will be used for service projects around the world.
Donate to UPF's Africa Projects: Your donation will be used for projects in Africa.